Wednesday, December 16, 2020

My Exodus From The Watchtower Organization


 

I was raised in the Watchtower cult. I considered baptism when I was eleven and changed my mind, then in my preteens and early teens I thought Jehovah's Witnesses were fanatics and was unconvinced of their religion, but I went along with things out of respect for my parents. I was eventually convinced and was baptized in that religion in 1979 when I was 16 and later disassociated myself in 1985. Over time I realized that, although there are good people among the Jehovah’s Witnesses, we were no better than the people we condemned; we were just trained to look at the Watchtower Organization through rose-coloured glasses.

Watchtower theology is much like a house of cards. When a JW sees that the Watchtower Society is wrong on a point, even an insignificant point, he is likely to see through other errors. When I was a Jehovah's Witness, I eventually decided that the Watchtower Society is not God's channel of truth, but this did not happen overnight. Over time various things happened or came to my attention to make me reconsider the belief that Jehovah’s Witnesses have the only true Christian religion, and I would like to share a few examples.

Watchtower publications teach that love among themselves and respect for the Bible proves that Jehovah’s Witnesses have the only true Christian religion. As time went by, I observed that I usually got along with non-JW relatives, schoolmates, and workmates better than I did with most JWs, and it became increasingly obvious that JWs put words of men above the Word of God. The Watchtower Organization is all about control, by Watchtower leadership and local elders, in every area of a JWs life, even areas where no Bible truth or principle is at stake, and this also helped me to see through the façade.

The Watchtower magazine included articles to be studied in one of the congregation meetings each week. A few months after I was baptized a Watchtower study article taught that it is wrong to doubt the Watchtower Organization or question teachings and policies and condemned independent thinking. This bothered me since the truth can withstand questions and criticism, and over time I was often accused of independent thinking though I tried to hide this and ignore my doubts and questions. This also contradicted what was taught in the Watchtower book “The Truth that leads to Eternal Life” (A Watchtower book used for conducting Home Bible Studies) in the chapter about the importance of examining one’s religion.

In 1981 a Watchtower article included the change in policy that people who voluntarily disassociated themselves were to be shunned the same as disfellowshipped persons. It bothered me that, whether the individual was right or wrong, there was no honourable way out.

In my studies I often looked at older Watchtower publications, not to be critical but to find information and knowledge, and looking at older Watchtower publications would make me wonder how the truth could change so often. JWs explain changes in doctrine and policy as “New Light.” One of my peeves was that whenever there was New Light it always seemed to be something inconsequential, like the name of one of the meetings or the exact interpretation of some obscure passage of Bible prophecy, and I would wonder why it was such a major issue. I also observed that all too often the New Light did not illuminate or expound upon the Old Light but disproved or replaced the Old Light altogether, and often the New Light was a reintroduction of Old Light that had been previously discarded as false. A Watchtower study article pointed out that the truth does not change, and I thought this was ironic coming from the Watchtower Society, and when Watchtower leadership discouraged us from looking at older Watchtower publications I could not help wondering about the motives behind that.

In the early 1980s a Watchtower study article on sexual morality said that certain sex acts (oral sex, etc.) were immoral even in marriage and that married JWs guilty of willingly participating in those kind of sex acts with their spouse would be subject to a judicial hearing and would be disfellowshipped if unrepentant, and it struck me that this was getting too much into private lives. I figured a married couple could be happy without those kind of sex acts and I could see the point if this was dealing with abuse or coercion or something dangerous, but the article was not dealing with abuse or merely advising against something but was making a judicial matter out of things a married couple might mutually and willingly choose to do in private. While I still believed that the Watchtower Organization is the truth this did help make me look at things more critically.

There used to be a lot of JWs who were policeman, but then in the early 1980s The Watchtower said that JWs could no longer have guns for self-defense and JWs who were policemen could not continue to work for a police force if the job required them to carry a gun. I noticed that they were using the same proof texts that were used to teach that it is immoral for a Christian to join the armed forces for any reason. I began looking at those proof texts in context and began to realise that they did not condemn military service or using weapons for self-defense. Around that time an aunt's husband, who served in the US Army in WWII, explained to me that a soldier merely doing his duty is not a murderer. While this did not change my mind right away, I did think seriously about points he made.

It used to be that Watchtower publications occasionally taught cautions about young relationships but did not condemn teenage marriage. Then in 1983 a study article in The Watchtower said it is wrong for people to date or marry till their twenties because First Corinthians 7:36 says they must be past the bloom of youth ("flower of age," KJV). This interpretation of First Corinthians 7:36 was especially noteworthy to me because both of my parents were JWs when they married, and my mother was a teenager when they married. Throughout history most women (and many men) married in their teens. If this interpretation of First Corinthians 7:36 was correct it would have been noted in the annals of history that first century Christians forbade teenage marriage.

I remember that at a convention it was mentioned in one of the public talks that celebrating a religious holiday such as Christmas or Easter is a disfellowshipping offense because this is apostasy, and I began to wonder what was so wrong about setting aside a day to honour Christ and worship God. I started to seriously question (in my mind) just how setting aside a day to worship and give gifts and enjoy fellowship made someone an apostate.

In a public talk at a JW Convention in 1983 the song “He Ain't Heavy He’s My Brother” (The Hollies) was mentioned as a good example or description of the love Jesus talked about in John 13:34-35, and this got me to seriously wondering about the Watchtower teaching that John 13:35 is an identifying mark of the only true Christian religion as this was not what I observed. I observed that non-JWs were often easier to get along with than other JWs, among JWs I could not be sure who my real friends were or trust JWs to be honest, some teachings with which I was not allowed to disagree were obviously debatable opinions, and “new light” often involved things that were trivial or inessential, such as the exact interpretation of some obscure passage of Bible prophecy or the name of one of the weekly meetings, or intrusive rules with no Scriptural basis. The Watchtower Organization did not seem to me to be quite what it claims to be and didn’t seem to be better than people and groups we condemned, but I would pass this off as misunderstanding on my part or the Devil trying to deceive me.

In the early 1980s The Watchtower magazine, in a study article, stated that the Watchtower Society never predicted that Armageddon would occur in 1975 and that a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses merely misinterpreted what was said. I was old enough to remember the 1975 disappointment and had been passing this off as a mistake or a miscalculation on the part of the Watchtower Society, so that statement bothered me for a long time because that is not how I remembered things. Along with things I remembered reading in Watchtower publications I remembered that there were a lot of people who quit college or promising careers, delayed marriage or delayed having children, sold their houses to move where pioneers or missionaries were needed, and otherwise made sacrifices to devote themselves to proselytizing work in the remaining years and months till Armageddon. For a long time, I tried to convince myself that this was just a misunderstanding or misinterpretation of what was said and refused to believe the Watchtower Society would lie.

Eventually, in 1984, I visited the Kingdom Hall library to look at pre-1975 Watchtower publications to see if my memory was wrong or not and I found in pre-1975 Watchtower publications that the Watchtower Society predicted 1975 quite clearly. Further research revealed that in previous decades the Watchtower Society had predicted dates for the end of the world and later denied those predictions. In the Kingdom Hall library was a copy of “The Finished Mystery,” a 1917 Watchtower book which the Watchtower Society pointed to as one of the reasons Christ chose the Watchtower Organization to represent him in 1919, as it was the primary book used to dispense truth and the Jehovah’s Witnesses (as they are now called) were the only religious group preaching the truth. Merely browsing over this book made me start to wonder why Christ would choose a group to represent him based on such absurd interpretations.

At that time I was a Regular Auxiliary Pioneer (A JW committed to 60 or more hours per month in witnessing work), and while doing door-to-door witnessing I met a nice couple who asked why Jehovah’s Witnesses believe they have the only true Christian religion. I explained this the way it was taught in Watchtower publications, that the Bible teaches that there is only one true Christian religion, and that the Bible teaches identifying marks of that religion. It started bothering me that I was teaching this when I was not fully convinced that the Watchtower Organization measured up to those identifying marks. One evening I decided to resolve this issue in my mind by considering pros and cons and I took a notepad and divided a page into two columns, one column for reasons it is the truth and the other for reasons it is not, and by sunrise the next morning one column was full on both sides but the column for reasons it is the truth was blank because I could not honestly and objectively point to a solid concrete reason to believe it is the truth. I then decided that it was time to leave, and later I formally disassociated myself from the Watchtower Organization by writing a letter to my congregation in 1985.

I was burnt out on religion and avoided church for a long time, but I still wondered if there was a denomination that is the true Christian religion, and sometimes considered going back to the Watchtower organization for the sake of family. Once in a great while I see where someone says JWs practice shunning out of love to persuade ex-JWs to return, which is interesting to say the least. For a couple years after I disassociated myself I occasionally considered returning and getting reinstated, but experiences involving JWs killed that idea. Let me share just a few examples: A few months after I left the organization a friend and I were eating at a Shoney's restaurant when a group of JWs I once considered friends came in and the hostess took them to a table near us. When they sat down one of them said very loudly "I wonder what Arnold is doing here with that guy?" and another said, also very loudly, "maybe he couldn't get a woman and decided to turn gay." My friend was offended and wanted to fight but I persuaded him to ignore their stupidity, and I thought it a bit ironic that people who act that way think I'm a bad guy to be shunned. When I fell on hard times and found myself without a vehicle, JW relatives living nearby would not give me a ride anywhere even if I would buy the gas and even if it was on their way. Seeing relatives and former friends snub me and give me angry looks as they drove by while I walked in the rain or the cold certainly did not make me feel like they wanted me back. I could give more examples, but these should suffice.

Eventually I learned that salvation is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and I was born again on January 4, 1987.

As a new convert I believed it is not possible for a genuine born-again believer to be deceived into joining a cult like the Jehovah’s Witness or adopt such obvious heresies as Bible truths, but eventually I realised that the warning of Second Corinthians 11:3-4 is addressed to genuine born again Christians.

Not long after I was saved I read in a Christian book about cults that the typical cult recruit or initiate comes from a religious background in a mainstream denomination, and since then I have read other books and studies that say the same. My own experience or memory is that Jehovah’s Witnesses that were not raised in the Watchtower religion usually came from a religious background in a mainstream denomination (Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Catholic, etc.). I believe the major factors contributing to this are:

·        Widespread neglect of, indifference toward, and criticism of the Holy Bible in churches.

·        Widespread neglect of religious education of children at home.

·        Widespread neglect of personal Bible study.

·        The widespread tendency to major on minors in Christian circles.

 

If you are seriously considering whether Jehovah’s Witnesses have the truth or if the Watchtower Organization is a Christian group that you might want to join, I ask you to prayerfully consider if JWs really do measure up to the marks that they say identify them as the only true Christian religion, and I ask you to apply these questions to Watchtower teachings:

·        Can this be verified with Scripture? Is this what the Bible teaches or is this what someone thinks the Bible ought to say? Have you examined the context of Watchtower proof texts? What would be your response if an unbeliever asked why you believe this? (Proverbs 3:5-7; Matthew 15:3, 8-9; 22:29; 1 Corinthians 1:20; 2:5; Colossians 2:8; 2 Timothy 2:15; 3:16-17)

·        How important is this in relation to other matters and what Bible truths and principles or standards apply? (Ecclesiastes 7:16; Matthew 23:24; Romans 14; I Timothy 1:5-7)

·        Was this true in the distant past and will this still be true in the distant future? (Psalm 33:11; 119:89; Proverbs 19:21; Ecclesiastes 1:9-10; James 1:17; the Watchtower Society has a history of continually changing teachings, “the truth,” with which JWs are not allowed to disagree.)

If you are a Jehovah’s Witness reading this for whatever reason, you do not have to take my word on any of this. Study and research to see for yourself and remember that the truth can withstand questions and critical analysis.

 

For more information:

Help For Ex-jehovah's Witnesses

HOW TO WITNESS TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

EVERY JEHOVAH'S WITNESS SHOULD BE ASKED THESE QUESTIONS


CHRISTIANS SHOULD BE INVOLVED IN POLITICS & COMMUNITY AFFAIRS

  In the Twentieth Century, especially the latter half of the Twentieth Century, it became normal or even typical for Christians in America ...